Keep the computer in a high traffic area of your home. Parents should monitor the sites their children visit.
- Parents should monitor a child’s on-line activity, sexual predators frequent chat rooms and social networking sites looking for victims.
- Software is available to filter out obscene material and to lock out inappropriate web-sites.
- Never give out personal information, such as name, address, phone number school name or location, team name, or town you live in.
- Never agree to meet someone in person that you’ve first met on-line. Always tell your parents that the person wants to meet.
- Never respond to messages that make you feel scared, uncomfortable or confused. If you receive a message like that, tell a parent right away.
- Be careful what type of photos or information you post or share. What you may think is private may go public.
Visit www.netsmartz.org for more tips and on-line safety tools
To download a list of on-line abbreviations/acronyms your child may be using on-line visit www.netsmartz411.or