- Order a copy of your credit report from each of the three major credit bureaus.
Click here to download a Secure Your Identity flier. Click here to get an ADA version of Secure Your Identity flier
- You are entitled to a free copy from each bureau once a year.
- To order a copy of your credit report, go to http://www.annualcreditreport.com
- To order over the phone, call 1-877-322-8228.
- Don’t use your home mail box to mail bill payments.
- Shred credit card receipts, credit applications, insurance forms, and anything with your personal information before throwing it in the trash.
- Remove information from your checks, including your Social Security number, phone number, middle name, or driver’s license number.
- Close any credit or billing accounts that you no longer use.
- Review your bank and account statements for unusual charges.
- Know your billing cycles and call the company if there are any problems.
- Use passwords on all of your accounts.
- Avoid using birthdays, your mother’s maiden name or the last four digits of your Social Security number.
How can I report any suspicious activity? Contact the Economics Crime Unit
Economic Crimes Unit is available for identity theft presentations to your business, group or organization. Please call 239.793.9145 or 774-8034 to request a speaker.