Vigilance Encouraged In Wake Of Sexual Battery In Golden Gate
Collier County Sheriff's Office
The Collier County Sheriff’s Office is encouraging people to secure their homes and report suspicious activity as detectives continue to investigate a burglary and sexual battery that was reported around 4 a.m. Sunday in Golden Gate.
As part of the investigation detectives are working to determine whether this crime is related to two earlier sexual batteries in Golden Gate that have been linked to each other. The first took place Aug. 1, 2016. The second was reported on June 18, 2017.
Residents should call 911 to report suspicious activity such as someone roaming through neighborhoods late at night or in the predawn hours.
CCSO offers free home security surveys. To schedule a home security survey contact the CCSO Crime Prevention Bureau at 239-252-0700. A specialist will come to your home and assess locks, lighting and landscaping and recommend ways that security can be enhanced.
The most recent crime took place at a residence north of Golden Gate Parkway and east of Santa Barbara Boulevard. Detectives say a Hispanic male entered the home and attacked the woman while she slept.
This continues to be an active and ongoing investigation and we will update the community as the investigation evolves.
Anyone with information is asked to contact the Collier County Sheriff’s Office at 239-252-9300, or if you wish to remain anonymous and eligible for a reward call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-780-TIPS(8477).
Here are some home security tips:
- Lock doors, windows and sliders at all times, even when you are home.
- Replace locks or doors if they are unable to be secured.
- If you have a home alarm keep it activated, even when you are home.
- Keep your hedges and shrubs trimmed so they cannot be used as hiding places for intruders.
- Light up your residence. Consider using sensor or motion lights.
- Notify law enforcement immediately if you see something that doesn't look right.